If you have any fuel-burning appliances at home, your family is in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is called the “silent killer” because, unlike smoke, you can’t smell it. You can’t taste it. You can’t even see it.
According to Lung.org, CO exposure from fuel-burning, residential appliances kills almost 450 people each year—and sends another 50,000 to the emergency room.
You can find a few stories online about families that have unfortunately succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.
CO is produced whenever you burn fuels like natural gas, oil, wood or kerosene.
Common in-home sources include:
Install a carbon monoxide monitor near gas-burning heaters
CO monitors can detect even low levels of CO, which are a health hazard to children and seniors.
BriteBox can provide CO monitors that can:
Ask about how we can integrate CO monitoring into your home automation system.
Get your furnace maintained annually
Your furnace needs professional maintenance at least once a year, according to ENERGY STAR. Maintenance should ensure that CO properly vents out the flue pipe.
Get chimney inspections every few years
Chimney blockages will cause CO to back up into your home when you’re using your fireplace.
Don’t run a gas generator with all doors or windows closed
This family of 4 died due to CO produced from a gas generator. They had just moved into the home and hadn’t turned on the power yet. So, they used the gas generator to power a variety of electronics in their home. Sadly, because all the doors and windows were closed, the CO built up in the home, leading to their deaths.
BriteBox is committed to keeping Atlanta-area families family safe. For more information on our services, contact us online.