Is a Home Security System Worth It?
If you’re wondering whether a home security system is right for your home, it can be hard to know where to begin. What makes a home security system worth it? In addition to smart-home integrations and better peace of mind, a home security system is best at keeping your family safe.
Reduce Your Risk
Installing a visible home security system may reduce your risk of becoming a burglary victim, protecting your property from theft and damages. Let’s explore some home security statistics below
According to the FBI’s latest published burglary data
- There were an estimated 1,401,840 burglaries in 2017.
- Burglaries accounted for 18.2 percent of the estimated number of property crimes.
- By subcategory, 57.5 percent of burglaries involved forcible entry, 36.2 percent were unlawful entries, and 6.3 percent were attempted forcible entry.
- Victims of burglary offenses suffered an estimated $3.4 billion in property losses in 2017.
- The average dollar loss per burglary offense was $2,416.
- Burglaries of residential properties accounted for 67.2 percent of all burglary offenses.
Many assume that burglaries take place at night, but they most commonly occur from 10 AM – 3 PM. Summer months are prime months for burglary due to travel plans. A recent study published by researcher Joseph Kuhns from the Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology at UNC Charlotte provides insights on habits and motivations of burglars.
- When selecting a target, most burglars said they considered the close proximity of other people – including traffic, people in the house or business, and police officers; the lack of escape routes; and signs of increased security – including alarm signs, alarms, dogs inside, and outdoor cameras or other surveillance equipment.
- Approximately 83 percent said they would try to determine if an alarm was present before attempting a burglary, and 60 percent said they would seek an alternative target if there was an alarm on-site. This was particularly true among the subset of burglars who were more likely to spend time deliberately and carefully planning a burglary.
- Among those who discovered the presence of an alarm while attempting a burglary, half reported they would discontinue the attempt, while another 31 percent said they would sometimes retreat. Only 13 percent said they would always continue with the burglary attempt.
- Most burglars reported entering open windows or doors or forcing windows or doors open. About one in eight burglars reported picking locks or using a key that they had previously acquired to gain entry.
- About 12 percent indicated that they typically planned the burglary in advance, 41 percent suggested it was most often a “spur of the moment” event, and the other 37 percent reported that it varied.
If you read the above statistics and don’t feel alarmed by living without a security system, you’re not alone. According to the National Council for Home Safety and Security, only 17 percent of houses in the U.S. have a security system installed.
Keep Your Family Safe
Still wondering if a home security system is worth it? We at BriteBox Electrical Services feel it’s worth the investment to keep your metro Atlanta home and family more safe and secure. Reduce your risk of becoming a burglary victim by having a security system professionally installed and visible. Contact BriteBox Electrical today for a FREE custom security system estimate.